top of page
  • Tara Joy Larrick

How to Reuse Old Candle Jars And Wax

Candles can be expensive, and to think you use the candle until it has about 1/4" wax left in it and then you throw it away. What a waste!

Lets save some money and reuse instead of going out and buying new ones every time! Not only is it inexpensive but it is super easy!

My family loves candles, we love having our home smell nice and warm. Who doesn't right?

The problem was that we'd buy 2-3 $3-$5 candles at the store each month, and that is pretty steep once you add everything up. I hated to throw away the glass jars they'd come in so I'd save them on the top of our kitchen cabinets for a chance to make some of our own candles!

The time has come!

I received a Soy Candle Making Kit for my birthday with everything that I needed:


-Candle pouring pot


-Melting Pot


-2 lbs Soy Wax


-Wood Stirring Stick

-Wooden Wick Sticks

-Instruction Manual

(From My Home)

-Hair Dryer

-Wax Paper

-Pot Holders

-Fire Extinguisher or Baking Soda

First thing is first, you have to clean out your old jars:

In order to get the old wax out the easiest way I've found is putting them in the freezer over night.

The next day use a spoon and push down some of the wax on the end. Put your spoon the farthest down on the side you can go and lift up. The wax will pop right out, sometimes in pieces and sometimes as a whole. **SAVE THE WAX

The wick may or may not pop out with the wax, if they just used wax to stick it to the bottom than it should pop off with a spoon.

However, if they used wax glue pads then you will have to use the second method: Pliers. Super easy just grab and pull and it pops right off! Wash out your jars!

Before you do ANYTHING, prepare your work area. Put your wax paper down, tape to counter and place glasses close to each other for easy pouring.

Make sure you have a fire extinguisher or baking side within reach, in case of a fire. Water will only make a wax fire worse!

Now you are ready to get started! 1. Pack the pouring pot with your soy wax. I packed it with about 1 1/2 lb wax and saved the rest for my pumpkin, french vanilla candles so that nothing was wasted!

2. Fill Melting pot 1/3 with water and place pouring pot into the melting pot. Make sure handles are angled to the inside of the stove so that you don't accidentally hit it. Then turn heat on to Medium.

3. After the wax melts a little place the thermometer into the wax and clip to the side. **Do not allow the wax to get hotter than 170 Degrees (F)!**

4. Melt all of the wax down, and then bring the temperature to 165 degrees (F) and stir in your fragrance. I only used 1/2 of the bottle because I didn't use all of the wax and I don't like my candles to be over powering.

5. Bring the temperature down to 160 degrees (f) and while it is cooling down grab your hair dryer and heat up the glasses you are going to pour into. This is so important because if they are cold the glasses could crack and the wax will pull away from the sides when cooling.

6. After you pour you candles, let them sit for 15-30 minutes until a cloud forms at the bottom and then place your wicks. I personally only did this to the 2 candles I plan on giving to people who don't have candle warmers. The others I didn't put wicks in because I know they have candle warmers.

Let set for 4-5 Hours, and don't use for 24 hours after! That easy!

Helpful hints:

1. Soy wax lasts 3 times longer than other candle waxes, it is a tad more expensive BUT it is worth it because you will have to make less of them.

2. Get a candle warmer! I love watching the flame on regular candles, but the candle warmer keeps the candle going for so much longer!

3. Don't burn candles while you're cooking. This may be a no brainer but I know people who like to do this, so I am going to tell you. If you want to save your candle for even longer, don't burn it while you cook dinner because your dinner will over power or mix with the candle so its a waste.

Happy Candle Making!

**WARNING** -- If you make candles you do so at your own risk. Make sure that if you have small children that you do this while they are in bed and not running around. Make sure that you have a fire extinguisher or baking soda within reach just in case of a fire. Water will not put out a wax fire, it will only make it worse! I will not be held liable for any accidents from trying this**


bottom of page